Diane Lemieux Arapahoe
When I first moved to Pamlico County, I picked up the County Compass and was shocked with the content and graphics. I wrote to the editor and suggested that he might want to change the name of his website from countycompass360.com to countycompass180.com if he was only going to publish one half of the news! I got NO RESPONSE. This was my first attempt of many to present balanced news in his paper.
- As I soon learned, the CC printed content and opinion that was presented as fact, and images that could be described as racist. When I asked many times if they were indeed fact or not, I got NO RESPONSE.
- When I sent many Letters to the Editor with another version of Trump’s Report Card they were rejected. He did tell me that I could pay for a full page ad just like the Coastal Carolina Taxpayers Association.
- I sent articles and LTE regarding the Constitutional Amendments which were declined. I got NO RESPONSE
- I asked twice why he continued to present opinion and lies as fact without citing it. I got NO RESPONSE.
- I sent him the Code of Ethics for Journalists. I got NO RESPONSE
- After the editor told me that if people wanted to run a candidate ad, he would publish it if they paid for it, I submitted a paid ad detailing Norm Sanderson’s Voting Record Facts and it was denied. Here was his response:
- “I am not taking the County Compass in the direction of mailers, TV, radio, Internet, billboards –where negativity rules. I AM CONVINCED THAT 99 PERCENT OF VOTERS ARE FED UP WITH NEGATIVE STUFF. COUNTY COMPASS IS NOT GOING THAT ROUTE.” Unfortunately, the paper has gone in a negative direction by printing the negative opinions of the CCTA every week.
- I believe that the recent publishing of the noose and the words that overlay it, represent efforts to intimidate voters and African Americans. The meme together with the article implies that people who are against Trump are evil and must be punished. In response I sent him an LTE about the hateful image. He let me know he received it, but didn’t publish my letter.
We are interested in fair, bipartisan reporting in ENC.
- Represent all people. All parties.
- Present the news in an unbiased manner.
- Do not repeat lies and conspiracy theories.
- Publish balanced letters to the editor.
- Label opinion articles as such.
- Identify paid advertising.
- Support racial reconciliation
- Do not trade ethics, people and planet for profits.
You have a choice whether to continue to be divisive or to unite the people in ENC. If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. What can you do to make our counties better? We will be watching to see your progress.
We have just formed the ENC CITIZENS AGAINST HATE to consider further action, monitor and respond to incidents of hate speech as they occur. If you are interested in being part of this informal group and learning more about hate speech or actions that occur in ENC, please contact us.
Thank you for coming out and standing up for UNITY.